It is important to find the right alcohol and drug addiction treatment center in Scottsdale for those who struggle with substance abuse. While there are many different options to choose from, SpringBoard Recovery is among the best.
The Need for Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Scottsdale, AZ
There are so many people who live in Scottsdale, Arizona who are battling drug and alcohol addictions. Rehab can make a big difference in their lives, but there can be a lot of barriers to getting treatment.
We want to help people understand that there is help available for them. They do not have to live as prisoners to their addictions. But how big is the need for substance abuse treatment in Scottsdale as well as in Maricopa County as a whole?
Drug Addiction Statistics in Scottsdale
Maricopa County reports that:
- In 2019, there were a total of 1,078 drug overdose deaths in Maricopa County.
- Between October 2018 and September 2019, there were 1,389 overdose deaths related to drugs in the county.
- Most of these deaths involved the misuse of three different types of drugs – alcohol, methamphetamines and opioids.
- In 2019, around 91% of overdose deaths involved more than one drug.
- 92% of these deaths was found to be accidental.
- Between October 2018 and September 2019, opioids (heroin and prescription painkillers) were responsible for the deaths of 898 people.
- During that same timeframe, more than 75% of all opioid overdose deaths involved Fentanyl and prescription opioids.
- The number of opioid painkillers being prescribed has decreased over the last six years.
- In 2019, 66% of all drug overdoses involved at least one opioid.
- Among all of those cases with opioids involved, 61% of people only had one opioid in their system.
- The 35-44-year-old age group had more drug overdose deaths than other age groups.
Scottsdale Alcohol Abuse Statistics
The Arizona Department of Health Services report that:
- In 2015, close to 19,000 people in Maricopa County received substance abuse treatment.
- This number is more than 35% of all people who went to rehab across the state.
- 32.8% of all people who received addiction treatment stated that alcohol was their primary substance.
- 13.4% of children who received help stated that alcohol was their primary substance.
- Marijuana was identified as the primary substance that was abused by close to 80% of children and adolescents who received treatment.
- Fortunately, treatment programs in Arizona are working well for people who participate in them.
- More than 42% of participants report not using any alcohol at all following treatment.
- Close to 39% stated that they stopped using other types of drugs as well.
According to the most recent vital statistics reports from the Scottsdale area, alcoholism continues to be a problem. The number of alcohol induced or related deaths is still steadily increasing.
Addiction Recovery Services in Scottsdale Rehab Center
We at Springboard Recovery, a Scottsdale rehab center (for drug and alcohol addiction), fully understand that rehabilitation is not a quick and easy process. The more a patient is addicted, the more difficult and extensive it is for them to recover. The effectiveness and length of the rehabilitation process depend on each individual, and thus, we believe that each case deserves special treatment.
The steps that should be taken in a rehabilitation program vary from person to person and the type of addiction. However, recovering from any addiction always includes these four general elements:
- Admittance and Intake
Admittance and Intake
This deals with determining the proper rehabilitation center or institute the patient should be admitted in. Take note that not all rehabilitation centers admit everyone. Some have fields of specialization, while others provide general care.
Before a patient is admitted, he or she will undergo some screening processes. In this part, the program in which the patient will be recommended to experience will be decided. Programs can be categorized into two: outpatient and inpatient.
The screening often includes getting pieces of information — like drug use, family history, and even financial history — from the patient. Primarily, the biggest factors that influence the type of treatment that will be provided are the severity and type of addiction.
Almost all kinds of addiction require detoxification. It is usually the first phase of curing drugs and alcohol dependency. The concept is simple: The patient must remove all traces of the substance in his body.
During detoxification, the patient might be given maintenance medicine to combat and minimize the effect of withdrawal symptoms. On the other hand, the intensity of the detoxification may depend on the following factors:
- The patient’s physiology
- The severity of the addiction
- The amount of time the patient has been addicted or dependent on the substance or drug
- And other addiction/s the patient may have
It is worth noting that detoxification is one of the biggest hurdles in the rehabilitation process. Its effects on the patient can range from being merely annoying to alarmingly fatal. It the addiction is severe; it is not advisable to detoxify alone or at home. Supervision of an expert or specialist in a Scottsdale rehab center is a must to counter any dangerous effect of substance withdrawal.
After detoxification, the next step is to address and fix the root of the problem: the patient’s reason for addiction. The cause of addiction varies from individual to individual. The goal here is to remove altogether that reason to stop the patient from experiencing a relapse.
Rehabilitation is often done as therapy. Rehab therapy may be done in the following manners:
- Individual Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
As its name suggests, individual therapy is provided as a one-on-one session with a therapist or letting an individual recover on his own with a bit of guidance.
Here are a few steps that usually get involved in individual therapy:
- Patients are left to analyze and identify the root of their addiction.
- Patients are given recommendations on how to address the reasons for addiction.
- Patients are suggested to focus their time on rehab and divert their attention with new or existing interests and hobbies.
- Patients are assisted with time management to pull them further away from addiction or to think about abusive substances.
- Patients are aided in finding and understanding triggers for drug use and know how triggers can be handled and managed.
Group therapy is the most common type provided to patients, especially if the addiction case is minor. The power of community support and social interactions play a huge role in rehabilitation. Also, group therapy sessions can help patients with socially related substance abuse problems.
Usually, group therapy often encourages patients to share their stories with others. This makes them feel that they are not alone in their struggles and create supportive bonds, thus encouraging and motivating them to achieve recovery.
Basically, family therapy can be defined as an individual or group therapy with family members or friends involved. Family is believed to create more impact on rehabilitation compared to a random stranger providing expert advice. Not all rehabilitation centers do this, though.
In family therapy, family members can join group or individual therapy sessions to provide input and support in the rehabilitation process. Of course, family therapy is not always applicable in all addiction cases, especially if the family itself is the reason for the substance abuse.
Scottsdale Rehab Center and Recovery
Once a patient is done with the rehabilitation program, the next step is a complete recovery. This part can be a bit confusing since recovery is something more of a goal than a process, right?
Once a person becomes addicted, the possibility of relapse will always remain. It means that a patient has a higher susceptibility to re-addiction. In short, recovery is a lifetime process.
However, this fact should not discourage one and be viewed as something negative. If the rehabilitation process was effective and went well, the recovery part will become a natural part of the patient’s life.
On the other hand, for those with severe cases, it is often recommended for them to live in a sober living facility for some time until they become confident that they will able to continue the recovery process outside the facility without significant difficulties and lower chances of relapse.
Also, joining recovery groups is included in the recovery process. At Springboard Recovery, we have groups similar to Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous. Patients are free to join anytime, whether they are enrolled in an inpatient or outpatient program.
In most cases, we recommend scheduling post-rehab therapy sessions, as they can be useful in assisting recovering patients and help them ease into their life after Scottsdale rehab center. We also extend our help by encouraging patients to undergo regularly scheduled drug tests for further monitoring.