Addiction Statistics in Belpre, OH: How Many People Could Benefit from Drug and Alcohol Rehab?
There is help in the Belpre, Ohio area, but a lot of people who need the help are not aware of what kind of help there is until it is too late. Unfortunately, they overdose before they can get the professional help they need. The statistics show the need for help in the Belpre, OH area, located in Washington County.
The Marietta Times reported:
- In a seven year period, there were 23 million opioid pills distributed in Washington County. This number would be enough to supply every resident a supply of painkillers for weeks to months.
- Although most were distributed by pharmacies, people started turning to cheaper drugs such as heroin and fentanyl that could be obtained on the street when the prices went up.
In an article by The News and Sentinel, the following was reported:
- There were 3,938 statewide fatal opioid overdoses in 2016
- Ohio had the fourth largest increase in fatalities in a six year period, compared to all states.
- Of the 28 deaths in the county, the age range of deaths was from 17 to 58 with the average age being 38.5.
- 23 were men, 5 were women.
- 16 had blue collar jobs or were tradesmen. 6 were unemployed, disabled or their occupation was unknown.
- Half of them were never married.
- 3 had education beyond high school, 4 hadn’t finished high school and the rest had a high school diploma or a GED.
Understanding Drug and Alcohol Rehab
When a person becomes addicted to drugs or alcohol and needs the help of a team of professionals to quit, it is time for rehab. There are programs near Belpre right now that will treat both the physical and the mental side of addiction through detox and the rehab program.
Both sides of the addiction need to be treated so the person will get exactly what they need from the program. Each person should understand what these treatments are as they are making the decision to enter a program.
When someone gets addicted to drugs or alcohol, those are toxic substances for their body. Over time, the toxins build up and when they decide they want to quit using, their body needs to rid of the toxins before anything else. This is the detoxification process. While it is not always necessary, it does lessen withdrawal symptoms that the person’s body will experience after stopping use of the substance.
For some with an alcohol addiction, a medically supervised detox might be recommended. This is using medicine through the detox process to make it easier and safer on the person. They are always under the care of a qualified physician during the process. This is a safe, effective detox program that can extremely reduce the chances of relapse.
Rehab and Therapy
After detox is complete, rehab therapy can begin. This will deal with the mental side of the addiction and could incorporate multiple types of therapy, including individual, group and family therapy sessions.
The professional who performs the therapy will try to get to the root of the addiction. This will help them know what types of treatment to provide. Co-occurring disorders, which is when an addict also has a mental health condition, is a common among substance abuse users. Rehab can help with these, as well.
Types of Alcohol and Drug Treatment Facilities in Belpre, OH
There are different types of drug and alcohol treatment facilities in and near Belpre, Ohio. The individual needs of the person determine what option is best for the.
Outpatient Treatment Options
When a more normal daily routine is needed, outpatient rehab can be good. This can occur while the person still attends school or goes to work. They can take care of family needs while getting the necessary therapy.
Outpatient rehab is good for treating more mild addictions and might be easier for those who are familiar with how treatment works. A commitment to the program is a must for this to be successful.
Inpatient Treatment Options
Inpatient rehab programs are types of treatment meant for people to stay in the facility. They are typically a 28-day program but there are also long-term programs, as well. The more severe substance abuse problems might need a longer program.
While staying in the facility, the person will generally go through detox and then start their therapy program. This could include individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy and treatment for a dual diagnosis.
Sober Living Homes
What happens after a program is complete is vital to success. Some people may not be ready to go straight back to normal life and may opt to live in a sober living home. Here, there are rules that must be followed in order to be able to stay living there, such as paying rent and random drug testing. However, these can be a good way to keep someone from relapsing while being able to go to work and live life.
Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous are two groups that most people have some familiarity with. These peer led group meetings have a 12-step focus but are helpful to millions of people beyond the meeting setting. There are meetings for both of these groups in the Belpre area through the week.
Traveling to Arizona for Rehab
There are reasons some may give for not staying in the Belpre, OH area for rehab. There can be many benefits to traveling out of state. Some of these benefits might be:
- To develop new habits: many addicts develop toxic habits and routines that keep that ensnared in their addiction. It could be the bar where they stop on the way home from work or the local drug dealer they meet at the same time every day. Rehab in Arizona would remove those temptations and help them to create new habits.
- A desire to finish the program: when someone isn’t fully committed to finishing a rehab program, they are not required to stay because rehab is voluntary. However, being in Arizona, several states away, leaving wouldn’t be as easy as walking home or asking someone else to pick them up. They also would have the stress of buying their own plane ticket back to Ohio.
- To limit distractions: distractions come up for everyone, everyday. In the life of an addict, many of these distractions are triggers that can quickly send them spiraling back into an addiction relapse. The distance that would come from being at a rehab in Arizona would almost assure that those distractions would be left at home.
- To protect privacy: rehab is a very private choice for many people and they want to keep it that way. They don’t want to feel like they’re being judged by others for the choice they made. Being so far away, they may have confidence knowing their privacy is respected and protected. They have little chance of seeing other program participants in the community and can maintain a low profile during their time there.
- To experience different facilities: while all rehab facilities have the same goal of helping the people who come there, they don’t all offer the same programs or treatments. A facility in Arizona May offer something completely different- and needed- that one near Belpre does not offer.
- To start a new life: many people with a substance abuse problem have made addiction their identity. Friends, loved ones and acquaintances know them as an addict. This can hinder the goal of lifelong sobriety as they can often feel judged, even by the ones who love them most. Being in a completely new environment, states away in Arizona, can offer a fresh start. They can start to build new relationships, start to increase their self-esteem and learn how to care for themself first.