There are many people who can do well with
12-Step meetings duringrecovery. But a lot of people need the level of support that is only available on a professional basis. Going to drug and alcoholrehab can be a life-changing experience. South Dakota has many options for rehabilitation that are available to people who live there.
People need to find the type of support that will work best for them. In some cases, that might mean attending AA or NA meetingsfaithfully. In other cases, it could mean getting professional help through a local drug and alcohol rehab. Everyone is different, butthe reality is that when a person is new to treatment, going to rehab is often the best course of action.
It is normal for people to have questions about drug and alcohol rehab if they have never been before. We want to help by providing asmuch information about what people can expect as possible.
Although detoxing is an important part of the recovery process,rehabilitation is just as vital. This is a step that should not beskipped, even though it may be tempting to do just that. But it is essential for people to receive therapy as they recover because ofthe need to address the root cause of the addiction.
Co-occurring disorders are typical among people with drugaddictions. This means that they also suffer from mental health issues that have contributed to their substance abuse problems. It isessential for these conditions to get addressed during rehab. If they are not, there is a higher chance that the individual will endup relapsing.
Some examples of common co-occurring disorders include:
The purpose of
drug rehab is to address thepsychological aspect of the person’s substance abuse problem. This is done by providing them with the right types of therapy totreat the cause of their addiction. There are many different types of therapy that can be offered to people during drugrehabilitation, such as:
- Group therapy sessions
- Individual therapy sessions
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Experiential therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Family therapy
relapse prevention is very important as well.People need to have a plan in place that will help them deal with triggers as they experience them after rehab is over. Knowingwhat to do and how to avoid going back to using is a critical part of the recovery process.
There are a total of 54 drug rehabilitation centers located in the State of South Dakota. These facilities offer many differentservices and various levels of care. In South Dakota, there are:
- 10 sober living homes.
- 27 facilities that offer telehealth services.
- 46 treatment centers that offer outpatient services.
- 16 inpatient rehab programs.
- 7 partial hospitalization programs.
- 34 intensive outpatient programs.
- 12 long-term rehab centers.
People struggling with alcoholism should definitely consider going toalcohol rehab once they get through detox. Because alcohol is legalto purchase, people have a hard time understanding that it is a highly addictive drug. But it is actually one of the most addictivedrugs out there.
Just like drug addicts, alcoholics need to take the time to get therapy to address the reasons behind their addictions. They alsooften suffer from co-occurring disorders, butdual diagnosis treatment isavailable to help them address their mental health issues appropriately.
We wish we could say that it was possible for most people to stop drinking on their own. But the reality is that it is verydifficult, not to mention dangerous, because of the severity of withdrawal. Also, unless people deal with the issues that led totheir
excessive drinking behaviors, there is a verysmall chance that they will be successful in the long-term.
Therapy can be so beneficial for people to help them stop drinking. Group, family and individual sessions can be instrumental inassisting in the recovery process. People need to know that they are not alone and that they can successfully quit.
There are a total of 54 treatment programs that offer alcohol rehab in South Dakota. They are a combination of inpatient andoutpatient programs, as well as some sober living homes and detox facilities.
Sometimes people begin their addiction treatment with the belief that once they finish, they will no longer have to worry aboutabusing substances. We wish we could say that were true, but the fact is that the hard work of recovering has only just begun at thatpoint.
Aftercare is extremely important in order for people to besuccessful.
Aftercare can look very different for everyone because people all have very different needs. For example:
- A person who has completed aninpatient treatment program may transition intopartial hospitalization or anintensive outpatient program.
- A person who has finished an IOP or PHP may be ready to move on to a more traditional outpatient rehab setting.
- A person who has completed any level of care may want to begin attending AA or NA meetings.
People who are the most successful in the long-term are those who make aftercare a priority. It can take weeks, months or even yearsfor people to form addictions to drugs and alcohol in some cases. It makes sense that it would take some time to undo the damage thathas been done.
Even though South Dakota does have a lot of options for people who are looking fordrug and alcohol treatment, going to rehab close to home isnot always beneficial. More and more people are seeing the value in traveling to get the help they need.
Arizona has become a top destination for people in needof drug and alcohol rehab. It is very warm in Arizona and there are a lot of other benefits, such as:
- Being able to relocate, if necessary. For some people, getting treatment and then returning home is going to put them at risk forrelapsing. There are alsothose who might be living in dangerous home situations, and going to rehab away from home gives them a way to start their lives overagain.
- Maintaining a more positive mindset. Some people need a complete change of scenery in order for something like going to rehab to beeffective. Traveling for rehab can make that a possibility.
- Finding a program that is in-network with the person’shealth insurance. It can be very expensive to go to rehab, andpeople should always be looking for programs that participate with their insurance to keep their costs as low as possible.
- Protecting one’s privacy and confidentiality as much as possible. This could be very important for people who work with the generalpublic, such as doctors, lawyers and teachers.
- Getting rid of triggers by entering into a new environment. Triggers can be everywhere at home. But traveling to a new place forrehab can help people relax and focus on the hard work of recovering without those distractions.