Addiction Statistics in Amherst, Oh: How Many People Need Drug and Alcohol Treatment?
Some people are unaware of the need for addiction recovery help in Amherst, Ohio. There are many individuals and families that need help and support to overcome their addictions. The statistics can be rather shocking.
According to the Community Health Needs Assessments for Lorain County:
- 38% of suicide deaths occurred between the ages of 45 and 64.
- 10% of Lorain County adults used recreational marijuana.
- 8% of adults took drugs not prescribed to them or took more than prescribed to feel high.
- Only 3% of Lorain County residents have ever talked with their doctors about substance abuse treatment options.
- 27% have talked with their doctor about getting treatment for depression and/or anxiety.
What is Alcohol and Drug Rehab?
Drug and alcohol rehab is a place where people go to get help with their substance abuse problems. Many facilities offer dual diagnosis treatment, which is critical to help people who have co-occurring disorders. There are two main types of treatment people experience during rehab and they are detox and therapy.
The detoxification process involves treating withdrawal symptoms, which can make recovery very difficult. There are also complications that can arise during the healing process and detoxing can help to reduce the risk of them. This is not always required with every addiction but it is required in the case of stimulant, benzodiazepine, and alcohol addictions.
Therapy is the most important component of rehab. Many times people become addicted to drugs and alcohol because of mental and emotional pain. It is necessary for them to receive therapy treatment so they can work through the issues that have led them to substance abuse.
How Many Addiction Treatment Facilities are Located in Amherst, Ohio?
According to the SAMHSA treatment locator tool, there are a total of 23 drug and alcohol rehab facilities within 25 miles of Amherst, Ohio. There are inpatient and outpatient programs. These programs bring support and care for people searching for help. There are therapists and detox help for anyone desiring recovery.
Drug and Alcohol Treatment Options in Amherst,Ohio
It is important for anyone considering going to rehab in Amherst, Ohio to know what their treatment options are. There are several types of rehabilitation facilities for people to choose from. Not all of them are suitable for all people.
It can be beneficial to talk with a professional and get a recommendation before committing to any specific program. Mental health care specialists can help people find the right facility suitable to meet their needs and support toward recovery.
Inpatient rehabilitation programs are necessary treatment for many people who have struggled with addictions and cannot seem to overcome the addiction on their own. This is where most people begin their long recovery journey. Inpatient rehab involves residential treatment for 28 days.
This level of care is where many people begin the recovery process. Most people need the help that is available during inpatient programs. They need that constant support and supervision, and they also need to know that they are not alone.
Drug and Alcohol Detox
Before entering an inpatient program, it may be necessary to go through detoxification treatment. Many people do not want to experience the withdrawal symptoms when coming off of a drug addiction. They can seek the help of a medical professional to help ease the symptoms. The medication used for detoxification will depend largely on the drug the patient used.
Medication assisted treatment is a form of detox that may be recommended for people who are addicted to opioids and/or alcohol. MAT involves taking medications that have been approved by the FDA to treat these substance abuse problems. It also involves the use of behavioral therapy, and has been shown to be very effective.
Some people may choose holistic detox. Holistic drug detox is a method of detox that includes the patient’s mental, physical, and emotional needs. It is a natural method such as acupuncture, yoga, breath work, meditation, etc. Holistic detox seeks to bring wholeness to every part of the person without using medicine.
This method of treatment allows the patient to continue in their lives and offers more flexibility. They are often able to continue in their jobs and life within their family unit. There are different levels of care offered in outpatient rehab ranging from low to high levels.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs: IOPs take place in the evenings, usually at least 3 times a week, sometimes 5 times a week. Patients meet together in a group with a therapist to talk about their progress. This provides accountability and support during the journey to recovery. Sometimes art therapy is included in IOPs. Patients get to express their feelings through art. This can be helpful and provide a release of stress and anxiety.
- Traditional Outpatient Rehab: This offers the lowest level of care. This is often not recommended for patients who are new in recovery. Outpatient rehab often only involves counseling. Some programs may include a group session.
- Partial Hospitalization Programs: PHPs offer treatment during the day. This is the highest level of outpatient care. Patients are required to stay for treatment all day for 5-7 days a week. They receive individual and group therapy throughout the day.
Many people suffering from substance and alcohol addictions will relapse. When there is a history of relapse, it is often helpful to go into a rehab program for an extended period of time, often 6 months to a year, sometimes even longer. This level of care is necessary in order to break the cycles of relapsing. The patient will work closely with a therapist to learn new behaviors and coping skills.
Sober Living Homes
Recovery patients need a safe place when they return home. Many do not have that. Going to a sober living home will provide that safe place while they are working toward their goals of staying sober.
12 Step Programs
12-Step programs are beneficial in helping people remain sober. Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous have been excellent programs helping many people all over the world remain sober. There is an element of accountability as people go through the twelve steps for healing and restoration emotionally and mentally.
Each person in these programs will have a sponsor to help hold them accountable. The sponsor will walk them through each of the steps. If they have a moment of weakness, they can call the sponsor and the sponsor will talk them through it. Sponsors are people who have also suffered with addictions but have years of sobriety. Sponsors can relate to the people they are helping. They become sponsors because they desire to empower others.
Should People Think About Traveling to Arizona for Addiction Recovery?
There are many benefits to traveling to Arizona for rehab.
- For many people, it is helpful to get away from their familiar surroundings, to get a fresh start.
- Getting away from what is familiar can be motivating.
- They can become more focused on recovery.
- They will have privacy. Privacy can be very helpful when recovering from an addiction.
- If living at home has become a toxic environment, relocating to a new area can be very helpful.