Alateen Meetings in Gila Bend, Arizona
Going to Alateen meetings can be very helpful to families that are hurting because of a loved one’s addiction. There are several of them scheduled throughout the week.
CHOOSE A DAY TO SEE AVAILABLE FAMILY MEETINGS
find meetings in or near Gila Bend
What is Alateen?
Alateen is a part of the Al-Anon Organization. It is a support group for teenagers who have been affected by another person’s drinking, regardless of whether that person is in the teen’s life or not.
A few facts about Alateen:
- It is a support group for teenagers that allows them to talk about their situation with other teens who may be experiencing similar things.
- The group can provide hope and strength for those experiencing hard situations.
- Teaches teens how to handle what is going on with the alcoholism affecting them.
- Helps teens find healthy ways to cope with the problems that come with knowing a person who may be abusing alcohol.
- It is a safe place where teenagers can talk about what is going on and find encouragement from others experiencing similar situations.
- Alateen is led by an adult who is certified with Al-Anon.
- Alateen follows the 12-Steps and Alateen’s Twelve Traditions.
- The group is not a place for social hangout or complaining about parents.
- The group is specifically a support group for teens who are affected by alcoholism, not a group for those struggling with alcohol abuse.
- Alateen is not affiliated with any religious institution, and all teens from various backgrounds are welcome to attend.
- Alateen is a free resource.
Alateen is a wonderful resource for teens who are in need of a place to talk about being affected by alcoholism. The group is led by an adult who is certified in the Al-Anon program, and who will honor the teen’s anonymity as members.
There are several Alateen meetings taking place in and near Gila Bend, AZ each week.
The Need for Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Treatment and Support in Gila Bend, AZ – Statistics
Gila Bend, AZ is located in Maricopa County, AZ. According to the Maricopa, County Coordinated Community Health Needs Assessment from 2020:
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse is rated to be the first and second most important unhealthy behaviors seen within the community. 49% of people reported that alcohol abuse is seen as an unhealthy behavior, with 36% reported on drug abuse.
- The death rate due to drug overdose in Maricopa Count, AZ is climbing steadily each year.
- Between December 2017 and November 2018, over 1000 deaths occurred due to substance abuse, both drugs and alcohol.
- In 2018, 86% of drug overdose deaths involved one or more drugs.
Support Groups vs. Professional Treatment- Which is Better?
Substance abuse and rehabilitation not only affects the person who is struggling with the addiction but their families as well. Each rehabilitation is personalized for the patient. For some seeking treatment, they are candidates for inpatient programs. Oftentimes, these programs include family therapy sessions. Sometimes though, patients do not need to attend inpatient treatment and go the route of outpatient rehabilitation and support groups. It is important to speak with a professional about what route should be taken to ensure the best treatment option for the person.
What happens to the families and even friends of the person who does not seek treatment or they choose to attend outpatient programs or support groups? Just like those who have the option for family therapy while a loved one is in treatment at an inpatient center, families and friends of those seeking treatment through an outpatient program or support group, may also need help.
Addiction is a difficult situation to navigate alone. This includes the family and friends who have been affected by the addiction. Questions may come up that need to be answered. Support needs to be given, especially if the addict is not seeking any treatment. That is why there are support groups for loved ones who have been affected by addiction, like Alateen.
Alateen is a specific group for teenagers who may need support from their peers. It allows them to gather together, in a safe place, and talk about what is going on with people who understand what they are going through. Oftentimes, people feel confused as to why what is happening is happening. Just like adults, teenagers feel this way as well. It is important that they have a place to talk openly and gain the support and encouragement they may need.
Alateen helps teach teenagers about alcoholism, giving them tools on how to handle the situation they may be in. They teach how to understand substance abuse, and how to correctly support their loved one, regardless if they are in their life or not. The group approaches each situation with the mindset of, no one is alone. They surround each teen with support and encouragement.
Alateen is a wonderful resource for teens who have been affected by someone else’s alcohol addiction. Everyone needs a place to feel supported. Alateen offers this to teenagers in need of support, hope, and encouragement.
Get More Information About Recovery Meetings in or Near Gila Bend, AZ
Here at SpringBoard Recovery, we understand that not only does the person struggling with an addiction is in need of help. We also know that their family and friends may need help as well. It is important to have support as you navigate a difficult situation, and that is why we offer a range of resources to those who are looking for support.
We understand that not everyone will be a candidate for inpatient treatment, and how that can affect family and friends as well. There are many great group support options for both those struggling with addiction and those in need of support from being affected by addiction. Along with information about Alateen meeting happening in and around Gila Bend, AZ, you can also find information about different meetings happening here as well:
If you or a loved one is struggling with or being affected by addiction, we are here to help. Contact us today.