Alateen Meetings in Eloy, Arizona
Attending Alateen meetings can be so helpful for hurting families and young people. They provide peer support, which is critical, and they are scheduled all week long.
CHOOSE A DAY TO SEE AVAILABLE FAMILY MEETINGS
find meetings in or near Eloy
What is Alateen?
Alateen, a part of the Al-Anon Family Groups is a program that offers support for people who have had their lives affected by someone else’s drinking habits. This is a fellowship of young people, most of whom are teenagers. When they attend an Alateen meeting, teenagers meet with other teenagers who are in similar situations. It is a non-profit organization and there are no fees or dues when a person attends.
Here is additional information about Alateen:
- Alateen members share their own experiences, strength and hope with the group.
- All Alateen meetings are anonymous and confidential. Members and discussions are kept within the confines of the group.
- While there are no fees or dues, some groups may pass a basket to take up voluntary contributions. These go toward paying rent, providing literature and offering support both locally and worldwide. There is no expectation to give and when members do give, they should only give what they can.
- There is no advance notification or referral needed to attend a meeting. If more information is needed, most groups have a contact person. Alateen meetings often meet at the same time and place as Al-Anon meetings.
- Alateen meetings are open only to teenagers, ages 13-18, but some welcome pre-teens, as well.
- Alateen is not for the person with an alcohol abuse problem.
Alateen has been giving teenagers a place to talk about their experiences since 1956 every week, there are meetings all over the world that have the same goal: to help young people cope with a difficult situation. With Alateen online meeting as an added option, it has become even easier for teenagers to connect with other people who are close to their age and in a similar situation.
There are Alateen meetings every week in the Eloy area.
The Need for Alcohol Addiction Recovery Treatment and Support in Eloy, AZ – Statistics
According to the Pinal County Community Health Needs Assessment from 2020:
- 57% of people list mental health issues as number one in the top 5 significant health problems facing the local community.
- 53% of people list substance addiction and overdosing on drugs and alcohol as number two.
- 70% of people believe that alcohol abuse and misuse is in the top five of “most significant risky behaviors” in their local community.
- In 2018, 39.1% of 8th graders in the county had used alcohol at least one time.
- In the same year, 54% of 12th graders reported having ever used alcohol. This was a 5.4% decline between 2014 and 2018.
- In a 30-day period, 20.2% of young people reported having used alcohol.
- Alcohol was the substance that young people most reported using.
- 56% of students state that they do not feel like substance abuse is risky behavior.
- Binge drinking among young people in Pinal County decreased significantly between 2014 and 2018.
- Of the survey respondents, 56% state that they, a family member or a friend has experienced alcohol abuse or addiction.
- 81% of respondents reported that either themselves, a family member or a friend struggles with at least one mental health condition. This can be directly related to substance abuse. The reporting was as follows:
- Suicidal thoughts-33%
- Post-traumatic stress disorder-28%
- Suicide attempt-24%
Are Support Groups Or Professional Treatment Better?
Drug and alcohol rehab treatment is a great addiction recovery resource but it is not the only way for a person to find help with their addiction. Some addictions that are less severe may not need professional treatment. Some people may prefer a group meeting setting. This decision is one that needs to be made by the individual based on their needs and circumstances.
These groups of people can do well with group meetings:
- Those who have had professional treatment or who are already in a rehab program.
- Those who have a strong support system at home.
- Those with a milder addiction.
- Those who have a short addiction time-frame.
- Those with no history of relapsing.
The group meeting can offer some benefits for those who choose this route:
- They will be other people in similar situations.
- Feelings of loneliness and isolation can be decreased.
- They have the opportunity to talk openly and honestly about the addiction and how they feel about it.
- Their skills to cope with challenges surrounding addiction can improve.
- They can stay motivated to stick to treatment plans.
- They can gain empowerment, hope and control.
- They can improve their understanding of addiction and their experiences with it.
- They can get feedback about addiction.
- They can learn about other resources available to them.
There could be some risks with attending group meetings. These could include:
- Group members who can be disruptive or generally do not want to follow the rules.
- Some people could dominate the conversation in a negative way.
- Someone could break confidentiality.
- There could be interpersonal conflicts.
- There could be inappropriate advice.
- There could be competitive comparisons of each other’s experiences between group members.
The benefits outweigh the risks and Alateen is a big supports to its members.
Get More Information About Recovery Meetings in the Eloy, AZ Area
At SpringBoard Recovery, we want to help everyone who struggles with addiction to get the help they need. Sometimes, people do not need drug and alcohol rehab. The outpatient group meetings could be exactly what is needed for them. In addition to the Alateen information, there is other information available for:
Eloy, Arizona has many addiction recovery resources available in the area for those who need them. Programs are available for the addict and to help loved ones get through these difficult times.
Would you like more information about the recovery meetings in and around the Eloy area? Please contact us today.