Alateen Meetings in Coolidge, Arizona
Going to Alateen meetings make such a difference in the lives of hurting families. There are several of them scheduled every week.
CHOOSE A DAY TO SEE AVAILABLE FAMILY MEETINGS
find meetings in or near Coolidge
What is Alateen?
Alateen is a part of the Al-Anon Family Groups. This program gives support to young people, most of whom are teenagers, whose lives have been impacted by the drinking habits of a friend or loved one. When a teenager attends an Alateen meeting, they attend with other teenagers who are experiencing similar circumstances. This is a non-profit organization and members do not have to pay any fees or dues.
The following is additional information about Alateen:
- Alateen members share from their own experience. They can give strength and hope to other group members.
- Alateen meetings are anonymous and confidential. Members are expected to keep discussions within the walls of the meeting.
- While there are no fees or dues, a basket may be passed for voluntary contributions. These can help pay rent, provide literature and offer support, locally and worldwide. Members are not expected to give anything, but if they do, should only give what they can.
- Participants do not need to notify anyone ahead of time or have a referral if they plan to attend. If they want more information about the meeting or meeting place, most groups have a contact person. Many Alateen meetings occur at the same place and time as Al-Anon meetings.
- Alateen meetings are open to teenagers, ages 13-18, but some groups welcome pre-teens, as well.
- Alateen is not for the person with an alcohol abuse problem.
Alateen has been a supportive place for teenagers to talk about their feelings and experiences since 1956. Every week, meetings take place all over the world. They all want to help young people cope with a difficult situation. Joining a meeting has become easier with Alateen online meeting as an added option. Teenagers can connect with other teenagers from anywhere who are in a similar situation.
There are Alateen meetings every week in the Coolidge area.
The Need for Alcohol Addiction Recovery Treatment and Support in Coolidge, AZ – Statistics
According to the Pinal County Community Health Needs Assessment from 2020:
- The survey stated the top 5 significant health problems that face the local communities. Participants put mental health as number one (57%) and substance abuse and overdosing as number two (53%).
- The survey also listed significant risky behaviors. 70% of the participants listed alcohol abuse and misuse in the top five.
- In 2018, students were surveyed about their alcohol usage. The following was found:
- 39.1% in Pinal County had used alcohol at least once.
- 54% of 12th graders in Pinal County had used alcohol at least once. Between 2014 and 2018, this number had declined by 5.4%
- 20.2% of young people reported using alcohol in a 30-day period.
- More than half (56%) of students said they don’t see substance abuse as risky behavior.
- Pinal County saw a decline in binge drinking among young people between 2014 and 2018.
- More than half the participants (56%) said that they, a friend or a family member has experienced alcohol abuse or addiction.
- Many of the participants (81%) said that either themselves, a family member, or a friend struggles with at least one mental health condition. Many times, mental health conditions and addiction go hand-in-hand. The reporting was as follows:
- Suicidal thoughts-33%
- Post-traumatic stress disorder-28%
- Suicide attempt-24%
Are Support Groups Or Professional Treatment Better?
Drug and alcohol rehab treatment helps many people recover from substance addiction. However, it is not the only way for people to get the help they need. Some addictions simply do not need the professional treatment of a rehab program. Some people might prefer to be in a group setting. Each person needs to make this decision based on their addiction, needs and circumstances.
These groups might benefit from group meetings:
- People who have already had professional treatment or who are currently in a professional rehab program.
- People who have a solid support system at home.
- People whose addiction is milder.
- People whose addiction has been for a shorter time-frame.
- People who have no history of relapse.
There are many benefits to going to group meetings. For people who choose this type of treatment:
- They will be able to hear from other people in similar situations.
- They can decrease their feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- They can talk openly and honestly about the addiction and how it makes them feel.
- Their skills to cope with addiction challenges can improve.
- They can get or stay motivated to stick to treatment plans.
- They can have a sense of empowerment, hope and control.
- Their understanding of addiction and their experiences with it can improve.
- They can get and give feedback about addiction.
- They can learn about other resources available to them.
There are some possible risks with attending group meetings. These could include:
- Sometimes, there could be group members who can be disruptive or just do not want to follow the rules.
- Some people could try to dominate the conversation, sometimes negatively.
- Sometimes confidentiality could be broken.
- There is a chance for interpersonal conflicts.
- There could be inappropriate advice.
- Some group members could make competitive comparisons of their experiences with other group members.
The benefits of group meetings far outweigh the risks. Alateen is a big support to its members.
Get More Information About Recovery Meetings in the Coolidge, AZ Area
At SpringBoard Recovery, our goal is to help anyone who has the desire to reach recovery from their substance abuse struggles. Not everyone needs a professional drug and alcohol rehab program. Outpatient meetings could be the right thing at the right time for the person. In addition to the Alateen information, there is other information available for:
Coolidge, Arizona has several options for addiction recovery available to those who need them. There are programs for the addict and programs for loved ones of the addict, as well.
Would you like to find out more information about the recovery meetings in and around the Eloy area? Please contact us today.