SMART Recovery meetings are readily available to people who live in the Cave Creek, AZ area. They offer an alternative to 12-Step meetings and are based on a scientific approach to addiction recovery.
What is SMART Recovery?
It is a proven fact that peer support is an essential part of the addiction recovery process. SMART Recovery is based upon that research, and they use scientifically-based programs to empower people to stop using. Their meetings are free to attend and open to anyone who is in need of them. They are not 12-Step based, like Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous.
SMART stands for Self-Management And Recovery Training, and the organization is available to people all over the world. Meetings are held on a weekly basis and participants help each other solve problems related to any type of addiction. That includes drugs, alcohol and activities such as gambling or shopping. People who attend SMART Recovery meetings learn how to develop the power within themselves to make the necessary changes.
SMART Recovery is based on a 4-Point Program, which involves:
- Building and maintaining the motivation to make changes in one’s life.
- Dealing with urges to use drugs and/or alcohol, or participate in other addictive behaviors.
- Managing thoughts, feelings and activities without addictive behaviors.
- Learning how to live a balanced, healthy and positive life.
Addiction Facts and Statistics in Cave Creek, Arizona: The Need for Addiction Recovery Support
People often do not realize how serious the addiction problem is in their community. Maricopa County, which is where Cave Creek is located, has many people that are struggling.
According to a local Community Health Needs Assessment for Maricopa County:
- In 2017, 18.7% of the people in the county were told that they had some form of depression.
- That number did decrease by 2018, when it went down to 16.3%.
- In Maricopa County, suicide was ranked as the eighth leading cause of death in 2018.
- In 2015, there were 16.9 deaths for every 100,000 people because of drug poisoning in Maricopa County.
- That number has gone up with every passing year.
- By 2016, it had risen to 18.8 out of every 100,000 people.
- By 2017, it had gone up to 22.5 for every 100,000 people.
- By 2018, it had increased to a startling 24.5 out of every 100,000 people.
- In 2015, 12.2% of the adults in Maricopa County reported that they participated in binge drinking.
- By 2018, that number had gone up to 16.2%.
So many people in the Cave Creek area are struggling because of their addictions to drugs and alcohol. They do not need to. There are a lot of ways for people to get the assistance they need to recover.
Drug and Alcohol Rehab Vs. Support Groups in Cave Creek: Which is Preferable for Recovery?
People with drug or alcohol addictions often do not know where to begin to get the help they need. They are often told that the only acceptable way for them to get assistance is to do so professionally. But the reality is that that is not always the case for everyone.
Going to a support group like SMART Recovery can be extremely beneficial for people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol. This option may also be appropriate for a person who has never been to rehab before. A person might do well with a support group as opposed to going to rehab if they:
- Have not been addicted to drugs or alcohol for a long period of time.
- Do not go through withdrawal symptoms when they stop using.
- Have already been through a drug or alcohol addiction treatment program.
- Are only abusing substances and are not yet addicted to them.
- Have a strong support system at home.
But there is also something to be said about getting professional treatment as well. Some people may find that they need the help that can only come through attending a quality drug and alcohol rehab in Arizona. Some of the benefits people can experience include:
- Getting help for physical and mental withdrawal symptoms by attending drug and alcohol detox.
- Meeting others who can identify with the challenges that they face.
- Learning from professionals who understand the best ways to treat addictions.
- Identifying the triggers that cause them to use drugs and alcohol so they can avoid them later on.
- Getting help for the underlying cause of their addictions, such as co-occurring disorders.
It may be best for people to talk with a professional to determine the best course of action for themselves to take. Many drug and alcohol treatment programs offer free consultations. This allows people to speak with an expert who can help them decide if they need professional rehab, or if a support group like SMART Recovery will work for them.
Learn More About the Recovery Meetings in Cave Creek, Arizona
At SpringBoard Recovery, we want people to know that they are not alone. So many people in the Cave Creek area are struggling because of their substance abuse issues. They may not know where to turn to get the help they need.
The Cave Creek, Arizona area has many options available for people for recovery. There are a number of different groups in addition to SMART Recovery, including:
You do not need to continue to struggle because of your addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Would you like to get more information about the recovery meetings in Cave Creek, or about going to rehab? Please contact us today so we can help you.