SMART RECOVERY MEETINGS
SMART Recovery Meetings in Carefree, Arizona
Many people across the country face addictions each and every day. Drugs and alcohol addiction can have lots of negative consequences for the addict and the people close to them. There are various support group meetings available for those who are struggling with addiction in Carefree, Arizona.
What is SMART Recovery?
SMART stands for Self-Management And Recovery Training. SMART Recovery is a support group in person and online to help people stop their addictions. This includes alcohol addiction, drug addictions of any kind, or even behavioral addictions like excessive spending.
Founded in the mid-1990s, SMART Recovery has grown to over 3000 meetings worldwide every week. There is no membership fee to attend meetings. Members also have access to online message boards. Members do have the option to purchase SMART Recovery books and publications to use as tools to help them change addictive behaviors.
SMART recovery uses a four-point system:
- Building and maintaining motivation
- Coping with urges
- Managing thoughts, feelings, and behavior
- Living a balanced life
SMART Recovery is not a 12 step program like AA or NA. SMART recovery uses scientific behavioral principles to help people change personal behavior. SMART Recovery teaches techniques for self-directed change. The program provides tools and training for each of its four points. Some of these tools include:
- Change plan worksheet
- Roleplaying and rehearsing
- Unconditional Self-Acceptance
- Decision-making worksheet (Cost/Benefit Analysis)
- DISARM- Destructive Images and Self-Talk Awareness
There are a few more ways SMART Recovery meetings differ from 12 Step programs. SMART Recovery programs do not use sponsors to directly mentor members. The program also discourages the use of the terms addict and alcoholic. The SMART program does allow for the appropriate use of psychological treatment and prescription medications.
Is There a Drug and Alcohol Problem in Carefree, Arizona?
The 2019 National Survey of Drug Use and Health shows that across the United States 57.2 million Americans used drugs at least once in 2019. Carefree is part of Maricopa County Arizona, one of the biggest counties in the United States. It is very likely that more than just a few people in Maricopa County are fighting a drug or alcohol addiction.
The Coordinated Community Health Needs Assessment For Maricopa County gives statistics about alcohol and drug use.
- 49.9% of those individuals surveyed believe that alcohol abuse is one of the most important unhealthy behaviors that need to be addressed in the community
- 35.8% of those survey believe that drug abuse is one of the most important unhealthy behaviors that need to be addressed in the community
- 16.1% of adults surveyed reported binge drinking in Maricopa County in 2017