Attending SMART Recovery meetings in Bullhead City, Arizona is just one way for people to get the support they need to stop using drugs and alcohol. Peer therapy has been shown to be extremely effective during recovery, and these meetings can be very beneficial.
What is SMART Recovery?
SMART Recovery is an organization that is not based on either of the 12-Step programs that AA and NA are based on. In fact, it is not based on the 12 Steps at all. Instead, SMART Recovery takes a more scientific, self-help approach to addiction recovery.
The acronym, SMART, stands for: Self-Management And Recovery Training. It is a global community of support groups that focus on all types of addictive behaviors. This includes addictions to substances, such as drugs and alcohol, as well as to behaviors, such as gambling.
People who attend SMART Recovery meetings learn how to find and develop the power within themselves to make appropriate changes. They eventually understand how to lead more fulfilling and balanced lives through the 4-Point Program, which is scientifically based.
SMART Recovery’s 4-Point Program
SMART Recovery’s 4-Point Program focuses on the following:
- Building and maintaining the motivation to make changes in one’s life.
- Coping with urges to use drugs and/or alcohol, or to participate in addictive behaviors.
- Managing thoughts, feelings and behaviors in effective ways that do not involve addictive behaviors.
- Living a life that is balanced, positive and healthy.
SMART Recovery is abstinence-based. It is a nonprofit organization that relies upon scientific data to empower people to change their lives for the better.
Facts and Statistics: Drug and Alcohol Abuse in the Bullhead City, AZ Area
People are often surprised to learn that Bullhead City has so many people that are struggling with drug and alcohol abuse. The reality is that addiction and substance abuse have both been climbing in this part of Arizona in recent years.
In 2019, the Mohave County Community Health Needs Assessment indicated that:
- 1.2% of the people in Mohave County believe that drug abuse is the biggest health challenge the area is facing.
- 10.2% of the people in the county believe that mental health is the area’s biggest health challenge.
- 1,099 of the ER visits in 2018 were due to mental health issues.
- In fact, close to 25% of the people in the county struggle because of mental health and substance abuse disorders.
- In the State of Arizona, on average, 17.2% of people struggle with mental health issues and substance abuse disorders.
- These issues seem to be much more serious in Mohave County.
- Only 14% of people in a neighboring county report struggling with these problems.
- In 2012, 27 out of every 100,000 people in Mohave County died because of complications with substance and abuse and mental health.
- That number is a significant increase from what it was in 2000, which was 14 out of every 100,000 people.
- It had gone down to 25 out of every 100,000 people in 2014, but it is a trend that was assumed to increase.
- In 2017, out of every 100,000 people, 28 of them died from drug overdoses in Mohave County.
- This is higher than the state’s average of 20 drug overdose deaths for every 100,000 people.
- In 2018, 24% of motor vehicle crash deaths were because of alcohol.
- Across Arizona as a whole, 27% of all motor vehicle crash deaths are due to alcohol impairment.
- In 2012, 10.7% of people in Mohave County reported participating in heavy drinking behaviors.
- The same was true for only 8.1% of people in a neighboring county as well as for Arizona as a whole.
- 20.7% of people in Mohave County report participating in binge drinking in 2012.
- That number is much higher than the averages in Arizona (18.1%) and a neighboring county (17.8%).
Choosing Between Professional Drug and Alcohol Rehab and SMART Recovery Meetings in Bullhead City
Not everyone who has a drug and/or alcohol addiction needs to get professional treatment to recover. It can be helpful, and there is no doubt about that. There is also no doubt that there are times in which it is necessary to go to rehab. But that is not always the right option for everyone.
A person may need to consider going to rehab before attending any type of outpatient support group meeting if:
- They need to go through the detoxification process because of the risk of withdrawal symptoms.
- They are addicted to any of the following drugs: alcohol, opioids, stimulants or benzodiazepines.
- They are using more than one drug at a time, or a drug and alcohol together.
- They have been addicted to substances for several years.
- They have tried to stop using in the past, but have not been successful.
Support groups like SMART Recovery can be beneficial for those who:
- Are only abusing drugs and alcohol and are not yet addicted to them.
- Are only addicted to one drug.
- Have been using for a fairly short period of time.
- Do not have any type of withdrawal symptoms to contend with.
- Do not have any type of history of relapsing.
Talk with Us Today About the SMART Recovery Meetings and Other Options for Support in Bullhead City, Arizona
At SpringBoard Recovery, we understand that people all have very different recovery needs. What works for one person might not work for another, and attending support groups can provide people with a lot of benefits.
There are many other meetings that can be helpful to people in Bullhead City as well, such as:
Now is the right time to start thinking about what you need to do to recover from drug and/or alcohol addiction. Would you like to know more about the recovery meetings in Bullhead City or about SMART Recovery, in particular? Please contact us today.