Families frequently struggle the most when someone they love has an addiction to drugs or alcohol. It can be extremely difficult to cope, and they often do not have anyone to turn to. Alateen meetings can make such a difference, and there are several taking place on a weekly basis in the Bullhead City area.
CHOOSE A DAY TO SEE AVAILABLE FAMILY MEETINGS
What is Alateen?
Alateen is a part of the Al-Anon Family Groups. It is a meeting for young adults, mainly teenagers, who have been affected by someone else’s drinking, whether the person is currently in their life or not.
It allows for teenagers to meet other teens going through similar situations in a safe place and talk about what is going on, along with learning tools on how to handle what they are going through.
A few facts about Alateen:
- Alateen is a place where teenagers can come together and share similar experiences, strength, and hope with one another.
- The group can help find effective ways to cope with the problems that come with knowing someone who may be drinking.
- It is a place where teenagers can share their difficulties and encouragement can be found.
- Alateen is not religious based.
- Alateen is a free resource.
The group is not meant for:
- Teens seeking help for drinking or drug use or personal therapy
- A place to complain about parents.
- A social hang out
Alateen is a wonderful group for teenagers who may be experiencing alcoholism secondhand. It is led by one or two group sponsors who are members of Al-Anon, who have been through a certification process, helping guide the teens to keep the meeting focused on the Alateen program of recovery. These adults are not seen as teachers or “replacement” parents, and they respect each member’s anonymity.
There are several Alateen Meetings occurring weekly in Bullhead City, AZ.
The Need for Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Treatment and Support in Bullhead City, AZ – Statistics
Bullhead City, AZ is located in Mohave County, AZ. According to the Mohave County Community Health Needs Assessment from 2019:
- 13% of the population in Mohave County experience mental distress.
- Of the ten leading causes of death in Mohave County, two have an increasing trend in recent years: death from self harm and interpersonal violence, and death from mental and substance abuse disorders.
- 24% of total motor vehicle crash deaths can be attributed to alcohol use.
- Rate of binge drinking is higher in Mohave County that it’s peer counties.
- 32.4% of respondents believe that the selling or use of drugs in a big problem occurring in Mohave County, AZ.
- In health behaviors, Mohave County ranks 12th out of the 15 counties in Arizona.
- Currently, for every 100,000 deaths 24.7 deaths occur in Mohave County due to Mental and Substance Abuse Disorders.
- 32.7% of the respondents believe that access to mental health providers is important to have within their community.
Support Groups vs. Professional Treatment – Which is Better?
Rehabilitation for substance abuse is incredibly personalized and specific for each individual. For some people, inpatient rehab is incredibly important during their recovery. For others, outpatient rehab and support group meetings can be just as affected. Speaking with a professional can help identify the correct route a person should go.
This is also the case for the family of individuals struggling with substance abuse. Just as their loved one needs help, they may also need help navigating the situation they are in. As they watch their loved one struggling, questions may come up that need to be answered and tools learned to help better the situation. These groups overall help for the family to navigate everything going on.
Help can be found for these family members. Inpatient programs, oftentimes, offer family therapy sessions, where everyone can come together and talk about what is going on. Support groups can also be a place for family members to be supported and encouraged by others who are walking similar journeys with their own loved ones.
Alateen is specifically a place for teenagers to come together, support one another, all the while giving them hope and encouragement, as they navigate a difficult situation. It gives them a safe place to ask questions, learn tools, and hopefully find some answers to very difficult situations.
Alateen approaches the situation with the mindset of, none of us is alone. Oftentimes, families can feel incredibly confused as to why a substance abuse is going on. Questions of responsibility, why, and even if they caused what is going on, can come up. Family Support Groups, like Alateen, can help answer those questions.
Alateen helps teach teenagers what alcoholism really is and gives them tools to not only understand the substance abuse, but also how to correctly support their loved one, whether the person is currently in their life or not.
Get More Information About Recovery Meetings in or Near Bullhead City, AZ
Here at SpringBoard Recovery, we understand that substance abuse does not just affect the person but their family members as well. We want to help support everyone during the recovery process.
We understand that not everyone will be well suited for inpatient rehabilitation or the family therapy sessions. Attending a support group may be the correct route instead. This includes support for their family members as well, especially teens who knows a loved one struggling with substance abuse. Along with information on Alateen meetings, you can also find information on other meeting happening here in Bullhead City:
Bullhead City, Arizona has several different meeting options for families, with loved ones struggling with substance abuse, who are searching for support groups. There are also support groups available to those who are struggling and looking for their own support group. These groups are free and meet weekly.
Would you or a loved one like to know about family support groups or recovery groups happening in or near the Bullhead City area? We are here to help, so please contact us today.
The Need for Alateen Meetings in Bullhead City, Arizona
Drug or Alcohol addiction is a scary and confusing situation; not just for the individual who is suffering but for their loved ones as well. It is important to know and understand the resources that are available to loved ones so that they can feel supported too. Alateen is a resource that can provide teens a safe and secure place to work through what is going on and help them to cope.
Alateen is a free program for teens, aged 13-18, to go and get support from other teens who are living through similar situations. It is a safe and secure place that provides teens hope, encouragement, and strength.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse Statistics for Bullhead City Arizona
The city of Bullhead City is located in Mohave County, Arizona. The state of Arizona is one of the top 20 states struggling with substance abuse in the country, with 2 Arizonians dying each day due to an overdose, with 1,106 deaths occurring in 2018. According to the Mohave County’s most recent Health Needs Assessment, written in 2019:
- 24% of all motor vehicle deaths involved the use of alcohol.
- In 2012, 10.7% of adults reported heavy alcohol use and 20.7% reported binge drinking behavior.
- Between 2017-2019, 230 deaths involved an opioid.
- Mohave county has a higher drug-related death rate than the state of Arizona at 28 per every 100,000 deaths. The state of Arizona’s rate of drug-related deaths is 20 per every 100,000 deaths.
- In 2018, 1,615 emergency department visits were related to opioid use.
- 2.2% of survey respondents reported health challenges due to overuse of alcohol.
- Substance abuse is one of the top two causes for death in Mohave County.
Getting Treatment for Addiction at SpringBoard Recovery
After admitting that there is a problem, the person’s next step is to find the correct kind of treatment for themselves. While some individuals may choose to attend rehab in their home city or state, others may want to find treatment elsewhere. There can be several reasons why attending treatment in a different state would be appealing to an individual.
Sometimes a person’s home life is not conducive to treatment or longevity of treatment. Perhaps their home life encourages addictive behaviors. So, choosing to attend rehab away from their home is ideal to help maintain the treatment.
At times, when a person chooses to take steps towards recovery, they also want a new start to their lives. Here at SpringBoard Recovery, located in the beautiful city of Scottsdale, Arizona, we can help people find the treatment they need. Whether a person is looking to start their life completely over or come to begin their journey to recovery, we offer a variety of different kinds of treatments including both outpatient therapy and sober living homes.
If you or a loved one is ready to make the step towards recovery, contact us today.