People who live in the Buckeye area have access to a lot of different support groups. Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous have helped millions of people all over the world. SMART Recovery meetings are an additional option that is not based on a 12-Step program.
CHOOSE A DAY TO SEE AVAILABLE PATIENT MEETINGS
SMART Recovery Meetings in Buckeye, Arizona
Many people in America face drug and alcohol addictions every day. It can be almost impossible to break an addiction without help. There are support groups available whose goal is to help people stay drug and alcohol-free. There are several support group meetings every week in Buckeye, Arizona.
What is SMART Recovery?
SMART stands for Self-Management And Recovery Training. SMART Recovery is a group to support people who want to break free from addictive behaviors. This includes all kinds of addictions like alcohol addiction, drug addictions, or even behavioral addictions.
All SMART Recovery meetings are free to attend, this includes meetings held online. Members also have access to online message boards that are running 24 hours per day, seven days a week. Members also have an option to purchase SMART Recovery books and publications that can be useful to help them change addictive behaviors.
SMART recovery uses ever-evolving scientific behavioral principles to change personal behavior. This is different from using a spiritual-based system like a 12-step program. The scientific principles build up a person’s self-empowerment instead of admitting a person is powerless to an addiction. SMART Recovery teaches techniques for self-directed change, not relying on an outside power source to cause changes.
SMART recovery uses a four-point system:
- Building and maintaining motivation
- Coping with urges
- Managing thoughts, feelings, and behavior
- Living a balanced life
The program provides tools and training for each of the four points. Some of these tools include:
- Change plan worksheet
- Decision-making worksheet (Cost/Benefit Analysis)
- DISARM- Destructive Images and Self-Talk Awareness
- Hierarchy of values
Is There a Drug Problem in Buckeye, Arizona?
Buckeye is part of Maricopa County Arizona. This county has the most residents in the state of Arizona. The Coordinated Community Health Needs Assessment For Maricopa County listed statistics about alcohol and drug use.
- 35.8% of those surveyed believe that drug abuse is one of the most important unhealthy behaviors that need to be addressed in the community
- 49.9% of those individuals surveyed believe that alcohol abuse is one of the most important unhealthy behaviors that need to be addressed in the community
- 16.1% of adults surveyed reported binge drinking in Maricopa County in 2017
- There were 1304 drug-related deaths in Maricopa County from December 2017 to November 2018
According to the CDC, almost 841,000 people have died from drug overdoses since 1999. In 2019 there were 70,630 drug overdose deaths. Arizona fell into the highest category at the state level in 2019, with 1907 deaths from overdoses. There were 1078 drug overdose deaths in Maricopa county in 2019