SMART Meetings in Borree Corner, Arizona
Many people on the road to recovery have benefited from peer support groups. SMART recovery is an option that is not based on the 12-steps.
CHOOSE A DAY TO SEE AVAILABLE PATIENT MEETINGS
find meetings in or near Borree Corner
What is SMART Recovery?
SMART recovery is a not-for-profit community to support people who want to break free from addictive behaviors. This includes alcohol addiction, drug addiction, and behavioral addictions such as gambling, excessive spending, and self-injury. SMART stands for Self-Management And Recovery Training.
The program was founded in 1994 and currently has over 3000 weekly meetings worldwide. They also provide online meetings and online message boards. The online message boards are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All meetings are free to attend. This is not a 12-Step program like Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous.
How is SMART Recovery Different From a 12-Step Program?
SMART Recovery uses a scientific foundation to change addictive behaviors and does not include spiritual principles. SMART recovery builds self-empowerment as opposed to admitting powerlessness to an addiction. SMART recovery participants do not have sponsors like a 12-step program. The group discourages the use of the labels alcoholic and addict.
SMART Recovery uses a four-point system:
- Building and maintaining motivation
- Coping with urges
- Managing thoughts, feelings, and behavior
- Living a balanced life
The program provides tools and training for each of the four points. The goal is to learn self-empowerment and self-reliance while replacing addictive behaviors with healthy coping strategies.
SMART recovery meetings in person or online can make a world of difference for someone that wants to change addictive behaviors in their life. Most people attend one meeting a week, but it is encouraged to take an individual approach, and someone can attend as often as they feel the need. The online message boards are always available for support as well.
There are several SMART meetings available each week near Borree Corner, Arizona.
Is There a Need for Addiction Recovery Treatment in Borree Corner, Arizona?
There is definitely a need for addiction recovery treatment and support in Borree Corner. The Pinal County Community Health Needs Assessment released in October 2020 revealed community concerns and statistics. These statistics include adults and youth from 8th grade to 12th grade.
- Most people in the community believe mental health issues are the number one most significant health problem in Pinal county (57%)
- The next most significant health problem was substance addiction and overdose, including drugs and alcohol (53%)
- 83% rated drug abuse and misuse as the top risky behavior in the community
- 70% rated alcohol abuse and misuse as the top risky behavior in the community
- 44% said being overweight was the most risky behavior in the community
- There were 363 opioid overdoses in Pinal County from June 2017 to November 2019, 313 non-fatal overdoses and 50 fatal overdoses
- Of the 363 opioid overdoses reported June 2017 to November 2019, 16 were youths aged 14-17
- There were 14 infants born with NAS (Neonatal abstinence syndrome) a withdrawal syndrome that occurs when newborns were exposed to substances during pregnancy
- In 2018 39.1% of 8th graders had used alcohol at least once in their lifetime
- The same year 11.6% of 8th graders reported using prescription pain relievers
- In 2018 54% of 12th graders had used alcohol at least once in their lifetime
- That year 8.4% of 12th graders had used prescription pain relievers
- 20.2% of youths surveyed had used alcohol within the last 30 days
- 19.9% of youths surveyed had used electronic cigarettes in the last 30 days
- 15.7% of youths surveyed had used marijuana in the last 30 days
- 4.8% of youths surveyed had used cigarettes in the last 30 days
Are Support Groups Enough to Beat Addiction?
This depends on each individual. Those that have been addicted to a substance for an exceptionally long time or someone who could experience withdrawal symptoms that could be life threatening, inpatient treatment would be the best option. Not everyone may need that level of care. Outpatient support groups can help many people live a sober lifestyle.
Addiction support group meetings can be helpful for:
- Those that have mild addictions.
- Those that do not use large quantities of a substance.
- People that have not been using for a long amount of time.
- Those who have a strong friend and family support system where they live.
- People who have already completed an inpatient treatment program at a facility.
- Those who are looking for continued support and do not have past relapses.
Benefits of Support Groups
There are additional benefits of being involved in an addiction recovery and support group. One of the benefits is recognizing that they are not alone. There are others out there who struggle with addictions and help is available. Another benefit is improving social skills that may have been lost. Sometimes addictions cause people to withdraw from friends and family, a support group can provide a safe environment to relearn social skills. Another plus of support groups is the cost.
Inpatient treatment can be expensive, even with insurance, most support groups are free.
Learn More About Recovery Meetings in Borree Corner, Arizona
Inpatient treatment is not the best fit for every person. Finding help with people facing similar situations may be the way to achieve recovery from an addiction. Springboard Recovery wants to help those who want to break free and live sober lives. SMART Recovery meetings are one option, information about other groups is also available:
There are more options for people who want to work on changing their lives and become sober in Borree Corner, Arizona. Programs are also available for the families of those with addictions. Would you like more information about recovery groups available near Borree Corner, Arizona? Please contact us today.