There are a few SMART Recovery Meetings available in the Ashtabula, Ohio region.
CHOOSE A DAY TO SEE AVAILABLE PATIENT MEETINGS
What is Smart Recovery?
Smart Recovery stands for Self-Management and Recovery Training (SMART). SMART helps partakers work on problems with any addiction including drugs, alcohol or activities including gambling and overeating.
SMART recovery teaches the people to find and develop power from within to change their life. It focuses on being self-supporting rather than feeling powerless, which means there are no sponsors like other programs. Also, the goal is to lead a self-fulfilled life that is balanced and science based.
SMART recover uses a 4-Point Program which includes:
- Building and maintaining the motivation to change.
- Coping with urges to use.
- Managing thoughts, feelings, and behaviors in an effective way without addictive behaviors.
- Living a balanced, positive and healthy life.
The goal of SMART recovery is to support those who have chosen to abstain or those who are considering to abstain from any type of addictive behaviour.
Smart Recovery can teach how to change negative beliefs, emotions and actions, by teaching this, the person can work towards a long-term satisfactory life.
The efforts used in the programs for the addicted person are based on scientific knowledge and it evolves as the scientific knowledge evolves. The program consists of tools and techniques which are designed to promote a balanced life in recovery.
SMART Recovery has meetings scheduled all over the globe and there are many meetings that take place each week in the Ashtabula, Ohio area.
The meetings must be run by trained facilitators and follow a standard structure.
There are several different types of SMART Recovery meetings, including:
- Health and Wellness- These meetings look at the power of choice and how living a well-balanced life involves health and wellness. It looks at how health is a state of being and that wellness is a state of living a healthy lifestyle.
- Family & Friends (Concerned Significant Others)– These meetings focus on those who are affected by the addiction of a loved one.
- Daily Check-In, Peer Support Groups – These are message boards and online support areas for participants to get 24/7 support.
- Recovery During Pandemic Groups – This is an online forum just dedicated to SMART Recovery during the pandemic. This is an open forum where one can express personal experiences through the pandemic. There is no political speech or posting medical information or advice permitted.
What to Expect During SMART Recovery Meetings
Every SMART recovery meeting has a similar structure that must follow.
New participants are often nervous about what expectations might be for them. The new member might be nervous if they need to talk when attending a SMART Recovery meeting for the first time.
The new person has no need to be worried as they will be greeted in a warm fashion. The new person is free to ask questions or talk about their situation at the first meeting but it is not necessary.
It is important for the new person to understand that participation is not required and that a name does not have to be given.
During SMART Recovery meetings, any of the following may happen:
- The facilitator will introduce themselves and welcome members.
- The meeting is focused on how to abstain from addictive behavior which includes all addictions.
- The meeting will focus on the self-empowering skills that are in the 4-Point Program.
- There is a check-in which is a small dialogue with any member who wants to share any recent changes that are important to a person’s personal recovery process.
- There is an agenda-setting, which sets the order in which people who want to share can share in an orderly fashion.
- There is a working time to listen and understand and give alternative perspectives.
- A prepared topic from the 4-Point Program might be a topic of discussion.
- At the end of the meeting, the facilitator will ask what people found most meaningful from the meeting or if there is anything else that might want to be shared.
- There is a closeout to thank members and if anyone wants to discuss something with the facilitator one on one that can happen at the end of the meeting.
Why is Attending Addiction Recovery Meetings Important?
It is beneficial to attend addiction recovery meetings because it can help people who are recovering from an addiction or know someone that is recovering. The person can get guidance on how to manage the addiction and they do not feel like they are isolated as they go through the recovery process. Some of the benefits of attending recovery meetings are:
- Understanding the implications of addiction and how to handle concerns for the person who is on the road to recovery.
- Receiving help on how to handle the anxiety and depression as one manages the addiction throughout the recovery process.
- Allows one to express their addictive problems without being judged or feel guilty for their behavior.
- Learning how to manage and cope with the addiction of themselves or for another person.
- It gives a sense of association of not being alone and being around others to share personal experiences.
Organizations like Smart Recovery make it possible for people to get the help they need by providing scientific knowledge on recovery.
Traveling to SpringBoard Recovery in Arizona for Drug and Alcohol Rehab
People often choose to travel from Ashtabula, Ohio to SpringBoard Recovery for drug and alcohol rehab. There are numerous reasons why someone might make that decision, including:
- Finding a treatment program that will work with their personal insurance plan.
- A private setting will allow oneself to get away from their home and focus themself during the recovery process.
- A person with a high public profile might want to be away from their local area so they can get privacy and focus on recovery.
- Looking for an alternative recovery option that is nontraditional such as a holistic recovery.
- Going to an area that will allow them to get away from triggers that might hinder the recovery process.
Attending SMART Recovery can be beneficial. Many members of SMART Recovery around the world have gotten the support they need to get clean. Many have been able to abstain from their addiction.