People who live in Elgin, IL should have no problem locating a quality drug and alcohol rehab center. There are several to choose from, according to the SAMHSA treatment locator tool. Search results show that there are 9 of them found within 5 miles of the city. There is a total of 139 of them within a 25-mile radius.
But even though treatment options are readily available, most people do not get the help they need to recover. We want to do our part by helping people understand why going to drug and alcohol rehab in Elgin can make such a difference in their lives.
Elgin, Illinois Addiction Statistics and the Need for Treatment Programs
Substance abuse is prevalent in Elgin, although many people do not realize the scope of this problem. The statistics offer some helpful information.
According to data collected by Cook County Public Health:
- In 2016, there were 1,081 people who died because of overdosing on opioids in the county.
- 741 of them were in Chicago, and 340 of them were from suburban Cook County.
- Heroin was a more common factor in these overdose deaths than other types of opioid drugs.
- Fentanyl is becoming a lot more common, and it was also involved in many overdose deaths in Cook County.
- In the suburban area, Fentanyl was involved in 140 of the deaths.
- 64 people died in suburban Cook County in 2016 from opioid pain reliever overdoses.
- 3.8% of the deaths in this area were due to overdosing on Methadone.
Also, according to the Illinois County Behavioral Risk Factor Survey for suburban Cook County:
- More than 260,000 people are considered to be at risk because of their binge drinking behaviors.
- That works out to about 15.2% of the population.
- Also, close to 100,000 people are considered to be at risk because of their heavy drinking behaviors.
- That work out to be about 5.8% of the population.
- Alcohol continues to be the drug that is used most often in Elgin, Illinois.
The Benefits of Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Elgin
There are many benefits to going to alcohol and drug rehab in Elgin. These facilities offer help for both the mental and physical aspects of addiction. This is critical because unless both are addressed, the risk of relapse only climbs higher.
People who go to rehab programs to get help for substance abuse have an advantage over those who try to quit alone. They get to work with qualified professionals who know the best ways to treat addiction.
The first step in recovery in many cases is to go through drug and alcohol detox. Detoxing is the process of removing toxins from the body that lead to withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal can become severe during recovery, and it is possible for some people to have complications that need emergency attention. Detox programs can help by managing symptoms and reducing the risk of serious health issues.
Many Elgin detox programs operate as a part of inpatient rehab. They often rely on a mix of medical and holistic treatments to help patients achieve their sobriety goals.
One of the main characteristics of drug and alcohol rehab programs is therapy. Every patient should get their own treatment plan that outlines exactly what they need to be successful.
Substance Abuse Treatment Program Options in Elgin, IL
As we mentioned earlier, there are many options available for drug and alcohol rehab in Elgin. It is important to consult with a professional before choosing one. People need to make sure they are opting for a program that will work for them.
Inpatient rehab centers offer 24-hour-a-day care for people in addiction recovery. Many provide detox services upon their patients’ arrival and then the patient progresses into rehab and therapy.
Inpatient programs usually run for 28 days and include relapse prevention, mental health treatment and much more.
Sometimes people need to spend longer in rehab than what inpatient programs will allow. Residential or long-term treatment facilities are the answer to this dilemma. Their patients can get help for several months at a time.
This is a great option for people with a long history of relapsing who need a higher level of care.
There are a few different types of outpatient rehab programs in Elgin. Traditional outpatient treatment involves working with a therapist 1-3 times per week. It may or may not include group therapy as well. This option is best for people who have had a higher level of care in the past.
Intensive outpatient treatment programs, or IOPs, operate during the evening hours, typically. They run for about 12 weeks and clients are expected to come to appointments 3-5 times per week. IOPs can work really well for people who work, go to school or care for small children during the day because of their flexibility.
Partial hospitalization programs, or PHPs, are even more intensive. They operate during the day and clients can receive treatment for both mental health and substance abuse.
Traveling to Elgin, Illinois for Rehab
When having the conversation about where to go for rehab, going out of state might not always be the first choice for a person who is addicted until they find out why it could be a good choice. There are many compelling benefits of leaving what’s familiar and going out of state for rehab.
The following are some of those benefits to out of state rehab:
- To break the daily routine: many times, an addict has certain routines throughout their day that they’ve developed. They have places they go to get drunk or high. They have people who they know will help them get what they want. They might even have ways to earn extra money to buy their drug of choice. All of these are routines that need to be broken and replaced. It would be easier to do this out of state because it would be an area that would not be known to the addict and not easily accessible.
- A commitment to finish the program: rehab is not something that is forced on anyone. It is a choice for each participant. Therefore, a person can walk out of rehab at any point of the program, should they choose to. If they are near home, this would be very easy as they could ask someone to pick them up or they could simply go home. Being out of state makes this more difficult. They would have nowhere to go if they left and they would be responsible for their own ride home.
- To limit distractions: there are many distractions in life, good and bad. There can be many negative influences at home for an addict. Rehab takes focus. The patient should be able to get a better understanding of their problems and their addiction, be able to learn how to take control of their own life first, and be able to focus on being sober. Being out of state allows them this opportunity.
- To maintain confidentiality and privacy: a lot of people feel as if they will be judged for going to rehab. Because of this, they don’t want a lot of people to know about their decision to enter a rehab program. A fear can arise that their secret would be found out if they were close to home. They would have a higher level of confidentiality and privacy if they went out of state for rehab.
- To experience different facilities: because every rehab facility is different, it is important to consider going out of state. Maybe a patient needs a gender specific treatment. Maybe they need specific therapy. Maybe there is a specialized program this is not available in their hometown rehab center.
- To start a new life: every addict wants to be able to have a fresh start. They want to get away from the judgements that other people have of them. They want to relearn their identity without the label of addict. Being out of state gives them the opportunity to work on themselves, building up their self worth, self esteem and self love.
If you want to travel out of state for rehab, consider our facility in Elgin, Illinois.
Support for Addiction Recovery is Available in Elgin, Illinois
At SpringBoard Recovery, we know the challenges people face when it comes to going to drug and alcohol rehab. We hope this has been informative and that it helps many more people make the decision to get help.
Would you like to learn more about drug and alcohol rehab in Elgin, IL? Please contact us.